Friday, September 18, 2009

Great technology for word use

Greenwillow editor Martha Mihalick, who may well be a GENIUS, recommended the use of Wordle.net to check the language of your work in progress.

Wordle builds collages out of the words in a document, so you can see which ones you use most of all.

I tried it on a novel and found a flabby word I used way too much. Then I did a find and replace search and saved myself about 200 words.

I tried it on a picture book and sent the image to a friend, who was able to tell me what my story was about simply by the big words that appeared. Here's what this blog post looks like:

Wordle: blog post

2 comments:

holly cupala said...

Now that's a great use for Wordle!

Kirby Larson said...

I've used Wordle to create characters sketches, but never in this way. Amazing!