Thursday, December 10, 2009

For inspiration: visit Richard Jesse Watson's blog


Richard is in the midst of a series on his creative process. If you're feeling at all dark and cold, it'll warm you right up.
When I first read the text to The Dream Stair, it beckoned me both ways. Go up the stair to your attic room. Go down the stair to your cellar room. Think about that.

Betsy James, herself an illustrator, set aside her paint brush and wrote this spare, dreamlike text, then sent it out into the evening light. Her publisher gave it to me to illustrate.

On these "stairs" we exchanged many letters. Betsy and I explored both light and heavy ideas, which infused my approach to the illustrations. She wrote that she "read Jung and realized that deep fantasy is universal and the root of spirituality."
Read the rest.

No comments: