Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ready or not, here I come!

Greetings, SCBWI-ers. Let me introduce myself. Ahem.

My name is Emily Russin, and I am happy to be taking the reins from Rebekah as your new Chinook Update-er. From local events to news, tips, and other tidbits, I solemnly vow to provide a variety of informative, inspiring, and sometimes wacky bookish fun. (Okay, not too wacky....don't worry!)

Sit back, relax, and....wait. I'm still catching my breath, so please bear with me. I will try to keep up with everyone's items and emails, but again, I am just getting up and running. Your patience is not only hoped for, it is appreciated. (I used to play the viola, if that gives you an analogous indication of my technical abilities.)

More about me? I'm a Seattle native who took an East Coast detour for close to a decade. I'm working on my first novel, a YA, and I am a former managing editor at Seattle Weekly. I work as a freelance writer and editor, when not making Indian food or watching MI-5. I have a daughter. I volunteer at said daughter's school library. I've blogged for entertainment and business sites, and my favorite color is gray-blue.

But enough about me. It's nice to make your acquaintance. I'm really looking forward to hearing from you all, and to getting to know our amazing SCBWI chapter from a different vantage point.

Happy summer! It's just dreary enough to keep our Butts in Chairs....

So let's start things off with a general question: What are you reading right now?
Not that amazing tome you polished off yesterday. I'm talking about the one you just started but aren't quite sure about. Anything on your summer reading list you'd care to have me compile and share? Don't keep it to yourself––send it on.


4 comments:

HelenL said...

I'm reading DEVINE INTERVENTION by our own Martha Brockenbrough. It's fabulous!

Laurie Thompson said...

Welcome, Emily! We're glad to have you at the helm. :)

Right now I'm reading my agency sister Erin Moulton's TRACING STARS, a middle grade novel about a girl named Indie Lee Chickory (isn't that great?) who goes on a quest to find her missing pet lobster (isn't that awesome?). Her special talent, making all kinds of fish faces, is not appreciated by her older sister, who wants to be popular. I can't believe I'm worried about a lobster, and I can't wait to see how this one will end, but I hope it doesn't end soon, because I'm totally loving being immersed in Indie's seaside community.

Faith Pray said...

Happy hand-off, Emily! I'm reading Deception, by Patricia Finney, a droll middle-grade Elizabethan mystery written in diary form. Hopefully one of the first in a great batch of summer reads!

Linda Johns said...

Hi Emily! I'm reading "The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls," a new YA by Julie Schumacher. I love the voice of the main character, Adrienne, and also the interactions of four girls who reluctantly come together because their mothers (who met thru a yoga class) decided to have a mother/daughter book club. They aren't a sisterhood, they don't share a pair of pants and they really have nothing in common except a bit of boredom.