Friday, January 11, 2013

Person of the Week: Lisa Yee

If you want a great study in voice, just look to Lisa Yee. Her first book, Millicent Min, Girl Genius, won the Sid Fleischman Humor Award. It was followed by two more books featuring other characters from the book, told in their own voices: Stanford Wong Flunks Big-Time, and So Totally Emily Ebers. She has written a young adult novel, Absolutely Maybe, and has two books in a new chapter book series: Bobby vs Girls (Accidentally) and Bobby the Brave (Sometimes). Her newest book, Warp Speed, is about a Star Trek geek.

Lisa Yee at a book-signing

Lisa Yee currently lives in South Pasadena, California, with her husband, two children, and a rambunctious dog. To learn more about her, please visit her website and check out her blog for (practically) up-to-the-minute details on all her exploits.





1. What is your definition of a productive day?

When no one cries. Also, if I can meet my writing goals. I set them for myself daily.

3. What is the most helpful advice you ever received, and from whom?

When I was writing my first novel, Millicent Min, Girl Genius, I kept asking my editor Arthur Levine about the target audience, demographics, etc. (I had come from a career in TV and advertising).  He told me, "Just write the story it needs to be." So I stopped thinking and started writing.




4. What book do you wish you'd written?

The one that I am working on now.

5. What is your most consistent work habit?

I always start with an outline.


Baby Lisa with Santa

"Lightning" Round: Pickles: Sweet or sour?

Sour. Of course.


––Interview by Rebecca Van Slyke




No comments: