Sunday, May 12, 2013

Reflections from a first-time conference attendee

Here's a great perspective on last month's conference from Kimberly Kennedy, who graciously responded to my request to send some more personal feedback from our SCBWI WWA annual conference. Thanks, Kim, and hope to you see (and the rest of you!) next year!


This was my first SCBWI conference. Talented faculty, high quality content in sessions, and networking opportunities made the conference a beneficial experience.
The conference organizers pulled together faculty who represent various roles and areas of expertise.  I learned both fundamentals and quirky tips from this impressive group.  
Sessions were worthwhile and fun.
A spirit of goodwill was evident and the atmosphere was inspiring. I’ll share one experience that occurred following Kelly Milner Halls’ keynote address. As we applauded, a woman turned to me and said, “Beautiful.” This one word uttered with such sincere appreciation and the expression on this woman’s face linger in my thoughts. I have no doubt that, like me, the inspired woman will return to her work feeling more encouraged and less isolated.
Thank you to the organizers, faculty, and volunteers for making it an enjoyable conference.  I’m grateful for your talent, time, and dedication.  





No comments: