Thursday, January 22, 2015

Picture book/agent opportunity!

Opportunity comes knocking: One of our roundtable critique faculty, for the upcoming April conference, might be looking for you. Here's what she has in mind...

I'm Clelia Gore, literary agent specializing in children's books at the Mercer Island-based Martin Literary Management. I recently realized that the Kraken, the mythical sea beast that has been having a bit of a pop culture moment in the last few years, would make for a great picture book protagonist. As far as I know, there aren't really any Kraken picture books in the current marketplace, and I think the right book would be an easy sell to publishers. I have already received some editorial interest for this idea. I am looking for a modern, humorous, quirky, and beautifully illustrated picture book. Perhaps someone has a manuscript that already exists, in which case, I would love to see it. If not, I'd like some author/illustrators to take a "krack" at writing a Kraken picture book and send me manuscripts and some sample artwork (i.e. a mock up of a spread). I'd love to see samples by February 15th. They can send their submission to me at Clelia@martinliterarymanagement.com. Please indicate "Kraken submission" in the subject line.

As always, please do your homework about any offers you receive, as SCBWI is not responsible for the content of any opportunities we post in the Chinook.

No comments: